Monday, September 1, 2014

Italian Clubs

So Saturday night, like I mentioned in my last post, we attended a dinner organized for us by Florence For Fun.  It had three courses (which really turned out to be more -- two different pasta dishes; one with pesto and one with a type of meat sauce; three different types of bruschetta, one the usual tomatoes, one topped with mushrooms, and one topped with some random steak; and a raspberry ice cream dessert).  It also had "unlimited" wine, so my group and I drank four bottles between the four of us before we were cut off (not sure why "unlimited" if there is, actually, a limit. But we were alright with it).  After dinner, we walked to Uncle Jimmy's, a very Americanized bar with writing all over the wall of various schools that have studied abroad in Florence.  We stayed there for about an hour before we went to a club.  This club was very American.  It played American top 100 music and some older music (such as We Will Rock You).  It had bright neon lights in pinks and blues and greens, but was otherwise pretty dark.  It had a stage and an area "upstairs" to stand.  It also had a VIP section, which I had zero interest in entering because all it was was a closed off glass room with some random strangers in it... in my mind, the only reason you entered was so you could say you were "VIP," but I didn't mind dancing on the normal dance floor.  My friend's wanted to enter though, so we stood in line for a while just to hear, "you can't enter unless you know someone."  We all pointed to people we knew inside VIP, but the bouncer still said no.  Which was fine with me.  We did encounter a few very old men while we were dancing, though, which was unusual and creepy.  A couple men tried to dance with us, and when one approached me from behind, I would mouth to my friend Morgan, "over 30?" She'd nod so I'd move to the other side.  They were easy enough to avoid, but it was just odd to me that they'd enter a club like this in the first place.  In America, I think there's a certain stigma prohibiting men over, say, 35 from entering young clubs and trying to dance with 21 year old girls', but here there is no such stigma or embarrassment over it.


^About to go out to dinner! 


Around 3 a.m we were exhausted so we went home to sleep.  The next morning we woke up and did a few errands before walking over to a small beach along the Ponte Vecchio.  I did most of my homework on this beach, which was a welcomed change from a library.  Last night, we went out for dinner with a friend of ours who works for Florence For Fun.  He introduced us to an amazing restaurant where I tried penne with crabmeat... the single most delicious pasta topping I've ever had.  Completely life changing.  After, we tried gelato at a new place (great, but all gelato typically tastes the same to me... except Venchi's!) and came home.  Today I spent all day in a small cafe working on Italian phrases and finishing homework for a cooking GST class I'm taking.  Tonight we're going out to another bar for Labor Day.  I'll update this blog later this week when more has happened.  That's all I have for now, though, ciao :).

^Pointing to Elon at Uncle Jimmy's/writing our names on the wall! 

No comments:

Post a Comment